[Libguestfs] Trying to use libnguestfs for a virtual machine on manjaro

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 22:53:51 UTC 2021

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 04:17:50AM +0000, James Swartz wrote:
>Hello, I'm trying to follow a million and one guides online so that I can enable GPU passthrough and get a virtual machine running for windows so I can just open that window to game. Right now I'm experiencing two issues, virtual machine manager is complaining about libguestfs, and the guest machine runs really slowly, while only outputting as a window on my host machine, but only displaying a weird firmware thing on the gpu output. Ill answer the questions below, and then paste the output from libguestfs-test-tool at the end.

How are you running this machine?  You mention virt-manager, but that's about as
much as I can gather from the info you provided.  I'm not sure where the
following data comes from, it's certainly missing the [image]...

Anyway, maybe we should first figure out how are you building this VM and maybe
then figure out what is the issue with guestfs inspection, which you don't
really need right now.

virt-manger and libvirt have their respective mailing lists, but we might just
as well figure out what's the cause before posting there.

The most common issue is that you are not running the machine accelerated.  Does
your user have access to /dev/kvm?

>Thanks!
>
>jamess7995 at pm.me
>
>James S.
>
>What are you trying to do?
>
>Run a virtual machine of windows on Manjaro
>
>What exact command(s) did you run?
>
>I installed using the gui package manager(pamac) on manjaro, I'm just opening the virtual machine manager to see the error.

You had to create the VM somehow, that information is missing here

>What was the precise error or output of these commands?
>
>[image]

Similarly to this image which is not attached (just sending a link is fine)

>Enable debugging, run the commands again, and capture the complete output, do not edit the output.
>
>Basically got no output if that's all I was supposed to run
>
>[james at jamesbuild1 ~]$ export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1
>[james at jamesbuild1 ~]$ export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1
>[james at jamesbuild1 ~]$ export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1
>[james at jamesbuild1 ~]$ export LIBGUESTFS_DEBUG=1 LIBGUESTFS_TRACE=1
>[james at jamesbuild1 ~]$

No, you just enabled debugging, but did not run anything that would produce
debug output.  Don't worry about it though, before any libguestfs debugging
needs to be done we need to figure out how does the VM look like.

> [...]
>guestfs_get_sockdir: /run/user/1000
>libguestfs: trace: get_tmpdir
>libguestfs: trace: get_tmpdir = "/tmp"
>guestfs_get_tmpdir: /tmp
>libguestfs: trace: get_trace
>libguestfs: trace: get_trace = 1
>guestfs_get_trace: 1
>libguestfs: trace: get_verbose
>libguestfs: trace: get_verbose = 1
>guestfs_get_verbose: 1
>host_cpu: x86_64
>Launching appliance, timeout set to 600 seconds.
>libguestfs: trace: launch
>libguestfs: trace: max_disks
>libguestfs: trace: max_disks = 255
>libguestfs: trace: version
>libguestfs: trace: version = <struct guestfs_version = major: 1, minor: 42, release: 0, extra: , >
>libguestfs: trace: get_backend
>libguestfs: trace: get_backend = "direct"
>libguestfs: launch: program=libguestfs-test-tool
>libguestfs: launch: version=1.42.0
>libguestfs: launch: backend registered: unix
>libguestfs: launch: backend registered: uml
>libguestfs: launch: backend registered: libvirt
>libguestfs: launch: backend registered: direct
>libguestfs: launch: backend=direct
>libguestfs: launch: tmpdir=/tmp/libguestfsvE2Jy4
>libguestfs: launch: umask=0022
>libguestfs: launch: euid=1000
>libguestfs: trace: get_cachedir
>libguestfs: trace: get_cachedir = "/var/tmp"
>libguestfs: begin building supermin appliance
>libguestfs: run supermin
>libguestfs: command: run: /usr/bin/supermin
>libguestfs: command: run: \ --build
>libguestfs: command: run: \ --verbose
>libguestfs: command: run: \ --if-newer
>libguestfs: command: run: \ --lock /var/tmp/.guestfs-1000/lock
>libguestfs: command: run: \ --copy-kernel
>libguestfs: command: run: \ -f ext2
>libguestfs: command: run: \ --host-cpu x86_64
>libguestfs: command: run: \ /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d
>libguestfs: command: run: \ -o /var/tmp/.guestfs-1000/appliance.d
>supermin: version: 5.2.0
>supermin: package handler: arch/pacman
>supermin: acquiring lock on /var/tmp/.guestfs-1000/lock
>supermin: build: /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d
>supermin: reading the supermin appliance
>supermin: build: visiting /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d/base.tar.gz type gzip base image (tar)
>supermin: build: visiting /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d/daemon.tar.gz type gzip base image (tar)
>supermin: build: visiting /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d/excludefiles type uncompressed excludefiles
>supermin: build: visiting /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d/hostfiles type uncompressed hostfiles
>supermin: build: visiting /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d/init.tar.gz type gzip base image (tar)
>supermin: build: visiting /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d/packages type uncompressed packages
>supermin: build: visiting /usr/lib/guestfs/supermin.d/udev-rules.tar.gz type gzip base image (tar)
>supermin: mapping package names to installed packages
>supermin: resolving full list of package dependencies
>supermin: failure: failed to parse epoch:version-release field 29-1.0

I'm guessing libguestfs cannot parse the os info because it probably does not
have manjaro (which, correct me if I am wrong, is Arch) support.