[Libguestfs] [libguestfs/nbdkit] Building Windows Binaries (#14)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Jul 17 06:15:48 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 03:12:42PM -0700, Nathan Shearer wrote:
> I am trying to build some windows binaries of nbdkit as I have some files on a
> windows host that I need to exported as nbd block devices to another system.
>
> I first attempted to configure and build nbdkit under cygwin with these
> packages installed on a windows 10 computer:
>
>   • automake 11-1
>   • gcc-core 10.2.0-1
>   • gcc-g++ 10.2.0-1
>   • libtool 2.4.6-7
>   • make 4.3-1
>   • pkg-config 1.6.3-1
>
> The autoconf and configure steps work fine, however it fails during the make
> step due to some compile-time bugs in the code relating to conflicting
> definitions in some included headers.
>
> Can you please include some more detail on how to cross-compile windows
> binaries of nbdkit, on a linux host. I assume your document is referring to
> debian/ubuntu? If you used a different distro please include that too as it
> will help me reproduce the process.

I've only built nbdkit using mingw (not cygwin), and only using
cross-compilation from Linux.  It ought to work from Windows, but
you'd have to use mingw.

The full details of how to do that are in the README file under
"WINDOWS":

https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit/-/blob/master/README

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v