[Libguestfs] virt-builder fails in fedora 34 container:

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Tue Jun 15 12:22:23 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 1:38 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:11:22PM +0300, Nir Soffer wrote:
> > I'm running this inside a fedora 34 container in ovirt-imageio CI:
> >
> >     'virt-builder', '-v', '-x', 'cirros-0.3.5', '--write',
> > '/etc/cirros-init/config:DATASOURCE_LIST="nocloud"',
> > '--root-password', 'password:', '-o',
> > '/var/tmp/imageio-images/cirros-0.3.5'
> >
> > The command fails in:
> >
> > supermin: ext2: copying kernel modules
> > supermin: ext2: creating minimal initrd
> > '/var/tmp/.guestfs-0/appliance.d.t7nny0l7/initrd'
> > supermin: exception:
> > Sys_error("/lib/modules/5.12.9-300.fc34.x86_64/modules.dep: No such
> > file or directory")
>
> We use this file in order to construct the minimal initrd with some
> virtio modules, which is sufficient to bring up the supermin root
> filesystem.  The file itself is used to calculate the correct set of
> module dependencies (so that, for example, if a virtio kmod needs
> another kmod then the other kmod will be pulled in).  See:

Is it correct to use /lib/modules/kernel-X/modules.dep
when the file was created on the system building the container
while running the container on kernel-Y?

For example, we build the container in quay.io (no idea which kernel)
and run the container in travis (Ubuntu xenial, kernel 5.4), or locally
(Fedora 32, kernel 5.11).

Should virt builder/supermin use "demod --show" to generate a temporary
modules.dep, instead of depending on system modules.dep when running
in a container?