[Libguestfs] oVirt import from VMware

Alan Daniels alan at softdrive.co
Fri Jun 18 14:19:11 UTC 2021

When we powered off VMs through vCenter prior to exporting/importing,
sometimes it would complain about failing to mount /dev/sda2:

Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
ocaml_exn: 'mount' raised 'Failure' exception
guestfsd: error: mount exited with status 14: The disk contains an unclean
file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
guestfsd: => mount (0x1) took 0.03 secs
libguestfs: trace: v2v: mount = -1 (error)
virt-v2v: error: unable to mount the disk image for writing. This has
probably happened because Windows Hibernation or Fast Restart is being used
in this guest. You have to disable this (in the guest) in order to use
virt-v2v.

After this, we started always shutting off the VMs inside the Guest OS via
shift-shutdown. This resolved the error above.

However, the guests do not support Hibernate / Fast Shutdown:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /a
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
        An internal system component has disabled this standby state.
                Graphics

    Standby (S2)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.
        An internal system component has disabled this standby state.
                Graphics

    Standby (S3)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.
        An internal system component has disabled this standby state.
                Graphics

    Hibernate
        The system firmware does not support hibernation.

    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)
        The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    Hybrid Sleep
        Standby (S3) is not available.
        Hibernation is not available.

    Fast Startup