[Libguestfs] libguestfs now depends on PCRE2 (instead of PCRE)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 16:17:07 UTC 2021

PCRE ("Perl Compatible Regular Expressions") is a required dependency
for libguestfs, guestfs-tools and virt-v2v.  We use it extensively
throughout the code for regular expression stuff, and even maintain
our own OCaml bindings.

The original PCRE (v1) was deprecated upstream a few years ago.  It's
now only maintained for critical bugs.

Therefore I have migrated everything over to PCRE2 -- quite a
significant change actually.  So you'll need to adjust your
dependencies accordingly.  PCRE2 seems to be as widely available as
PCRE (v1) so this shouldn't be a problem, although let me know if it
causes any issues.