[Libguestfs] Plans for nbdkit 1.26, libnbd 1.8 ?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed May 5 15:42:20 UTC 2021

> It's been about 3½ months since stable branches of both projects were
> released (synchronously, in early January).  Could be time within the
> next month or so for a new stable release.  Is there anything you'd
> like to get in before then, or conversely any large changes that
> should wait until after?

I'm about to post a series adding a .cleanup callback (counterpart to
.after_fork, and called in outer-to-inner order, opposite of .unload
called in inner-to-outer order), in order to modify the ext2 filter to
allow multiplexed connections.

> ----
>
> For me, but none of them are urgent before this release:
>
> Proposed nbdkit-forward-filter which ensures that we only do forward
> reads over the plugin.
>
> nbdkit-readahead-filter fix/replacement.  Requires background threads,
> this may be possible already.

Not easy without a .cleanup callback (it IS possible to create a
background thread, but .unload is too late to clean that thread up
gracefully to ensure we close the plugin's handle without accidentally
calling into unloaded memory).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226