[Libguestfs] Building from source with custom gperf location

Lewis Gaul lewis at scphillips.com
Sat May 1 13:26:37 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm trying to build/install libguestfs (for virt-edit) on a RHEL7 server,
where I have no root access. I couldn't find any pre-built binaries online,
so have been trying to build from source (downloaded from
https://download.libguestfs.org/). I'm using the latest stable version,
1.44.1.

I have followed the instructions at
https://libguestfs.org/guestfs-building.1.html, but './configure' is
failing with:
checking for gperf... no
configure: error: gperf must be installed

Indeed, it seems gperf is not installed. I then built gperf from source and
symlinked the binary to '~/bin/gperf', which is on my PATH.

The problem is that I can't work out how to get libguestfs's ./configure
script to pick up this manually-compiled copy of gperf (which I don't have
permissions to place in a standard location under /usr/).

Can anyone suggest a solution/workaround?

(There may be a similar problem for some of the other external dependencies
that are checked after gperf - I couldn't see a way to get configure to
continue on failure or equivalent).

Thanks in advance,
Lewis