[Libguestfs] Building from source with custom gperf location

Lewis Gaul lewis at scphillips.com
Sun May 2 13:23:55 UTC 2021

Thanks, once again that seems to have got me past that problem, only for a
new one to crop up (this time hivex, which I'm not sure how to build or why
it's required on Linux). I take it this isn't really an expected workflow,
trying to get the package to build without being able to use a package
manager to install the dependencies?

Searching the output from ./configure, I can't yet see any mention of quite
a few of the other dependencies listed at
https://libguestfs.org/guestfs-building.1.html that may be problematic, so
I'm wondering if it's time to throw in the towel for this approach.

All I'm looking for really is a way to programmatically edit a single file
in a qcow2 VM image (which I planned to achieve with virt-edit) - is there
an easier way to do this? Does virt-edit alone require all these
dependencies, or would there be a way to build just virt-edit without
pulling apart the build system?

Alternatively, would it be possible/easier to build a static virt-edit
binary in a CentOS 7 VM that could simply be copied onto this RHEL 7
machine?

I appreciate your help so far and any further suggestions you might have!

Thanks,
Lewis