[Libguestfs] e2fsprogs concurrency questions

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Sep 19 12:35:23 UTC 2021

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 11:49:22PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 04:06:55PM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> > TL;DR summary: is there documented best practices for parallel access
> > to the same inode of an ext2 filesystem from multiple threads?
> >
> > First, a meta-question: is there a publicly archived mailing list for
> > questions on e2fsprogs?  The README merely mentions Ted's email
> > address, and http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ is silent on contact
> > information, although with some googling, I found at least
> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-ext4/patch/20201205045856.895342-6-tytso@mit.edu/
> > which suggests linux-ext4 at vger.kernel.org as a worthwhile list to
> > mention on the web page.
>
> Yes, discussions and patches relating to e2fsprogs take place on
> linux-ext4 at vger.kernel.org.  (Just as xfsprogs patches and discussions
> are sent to linux-xfs at vger.kernel.org.)
>
> > Now, on to my real reason for writing.  The nbdkit project is using
> > the ext2fs library to provide an ext2/3/4 filter on top of any data
> > being served over NBD (Network Block Device protocol) in userspace:
> > https://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-ext2-filter.1.html
> >
> > Searching for the word 'thread' or 'concurrent' in libext2fs.info came
> > up with no hits, so I'm going off of minimal documentation, and mostly
> > what I can ascertain from existing examples (of which I'm not seeing
> > very many).
>
> Historically, libext2fs and e2fsprogs had no pthreads or concurrency
> access at all.  This is because e2fsprogs predates Linux having
> pthreads support at all.
>
> This is _starting_ to change, but more on that in a little.
>
> > Right now, the nbdkit filter forces some rather strict serialization
> > in order to be conservatively safe: for every client that wants to
> > connect, the nbdkit filter calls ext2fs_open(), then eventually
> > ext2fs_file_open2(), then exposes the contents of that one extracted
> > file over NBD one operation at a time, then closes everything back
> > down before accepting a second client.  But we'd LOVE to add some
> > parallelization; the NBD protocol allows multiple clients, as well as
> > out-of-order processing of requests from a single client.
> >
> > Right away, I already know that calling ext2fs_open() more than once
> > on the same file system is a recipe for disaster (it is equivalent to
> > mounting the same block device at once through more than one bare
> > metal OS, and won't work).  So I've got a proposal for how to rework
> > the nbdkit code to open the file system exactly once and share that
> > handle among multiple NBD clients:
> > https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2021-May/msg00028.html

I didn't see a link to the actual client code, so here it is:

  https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit/-/tree/master/filters/ext2

Also this page explains the callback lifecycle and thread model of
nbdkit:

  https://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-plugin.3.html#Callback-lifecycle
  https://libguestfs.org/nbdkit-plugin.3.html#Threads

In the current filter, as Eric said above we're using the nbdkit
thread model NBDKIT_THREAD_MODEL_SERIALIZE_CONNECTIONS which basically
means we operate in the most conservative possible mode.  NBD clients
must queue up to connect one at a time, and requests from that single
client are handled one at a time.

> So you are apparently calling ext2fs_open() before forking, and then
> you want to use the ext2fs handle from separate processes.  Is that
> correct?

We call ext2fs_open once per client (when the client connects).  This
all happens after nbdkit has forked and is accepting connections.
nbdkit only ever uses a single process, and uses threads to handle the
different clients.

In the code the call happens in ext2_prepare() which isn't shown in
the lifecycle diagram (because nbdkit filters work slightly
differently from plugins), but happens just after the "open" step.

Really the question is if we can relax the thread model.

> That's not going to work if you are going to try to modify the file
> system from different processes simultaneously.  That's because the
> libext2fs using a writeback cache.  After the fork, each process has
> its own copy of the wrteiback cache.
>
> If you are using threads, older versions of libext2fs don't do any
> locking before modifying data structures internal to the ext2_fs file
> handle.  So if two threads simultaneously try to use the "ext2_fs fs"
> handle, they might try to access the block allocation bitmap (for
> example) at the same time, without locking, and so bad things will
> happen.
>
> You can do your own locking to make sure only one thread is trying to
> use the fs handle at a time, at which point you should be fine.  So
> you can have multiple clients accessing the file system without having
> to open the file system, open a file, and then close the file and
> close the file system before accepting the next client.  But only one
> client can be using the ext2_fs handle at a time, and if you want to
> share any libext2fs data structure across multiple threads,
> appropriate read/write locking would be needed.

Are there structures shared between ext2_fs handles?  I mean, if we
had two concurrent threads using different ext2_fs handles, but open
on the same file, is that going to be a problem?  (It sounds like it
would be, with conflicting access to the block allocation bitmap and
so on.)

Interesting stuff, thanks.