[Libguestfs] virt-p2v VM testing bitrot?

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 14:12:04 UTC 2022

I've started looking into RHBZ 1590721 for virt-p2v.

For p2v development, quick local testing is helpful. "make
run-virt-p2v-directly" seems to be working great; however, the VM-based
test methods seem to have developed problems, since I last looked.

Namely:

- "make run-virt-p2v-in-a-vm" boots quickly, but the GUI does not come up.

- "make run-virt-p2v-in-an-nvme-vm" boots *incredibly slowly*. I
checked, and the host CPU utilization during guest boot was around 20%
(and KVM was enabled). I don't understand how or why, but exposing the
"physical machine" disk over NVMe slows guest boot to a crawl -- it
looks strangely "IO-bound". I don't recall this from the time I added
this Makefile target!

Do these symptoms look familiar?

(For RHBZ 1590721, I think run-virt-p2v-directly will suffice; just
wanted to record the above somewhere.)

Thanks
Laszlo