[Libguestfs] virt-v2v check-valgrind?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon May 15 17:51:36 UTC 2023

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 07:22:28PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> do we expect "make check-valgrind" to succeed in virt-v2v at the moment
> (at commit e83de8abe6c5)? I see there's a "valgrind-suppressions" file
> in the project root, but "make check-valgrind" still fails for me, with
> numerous errors.

Yes I expect it should work.  Or at least it currently passes for me.

> I'm attaching the test suite log. (Compare "--error-exitcode=119" in
> "m4/guestfs-progs.m4".)

The problem is because you don't have sufficient debuginfo installed.
Your stack traces are full of "???" (missing symbols), and that stops
the suppressions from being effective.

Now as for _what_ debuginfo you're missing, that's a bit trickier to
tell.  The suppressions with type "Memcheck:Cond" seem to be in
libnuma and glibc, so I'd start by making sure you have full debuginfo
for those, and that might help.

It may be that you've found a completely new problem (requiring a new
suppression), or that you're using some very old version of glibc/etc
which we never added suppressions for.  The only way to fix those is
to investigate the valgrind message and try to see what it's
complaining about.  But I would concentrate on trying to correct the
unresolved symbols first.

nbdkit - Flexible, fast NBD server with plugins
https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit