[Libosinfo] command-line should come from Libosinfo

Fabiano Fidêncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Sat Apr 6 06:32:25 UTC 2013

Howdy!

Since we start using libosinfo to provide the install-scripts for
gnome-boxes we have a pending task related to the command-line passed to
load the install-script.
Nowadays, the command-line hardcoded for Fedora format and it is okay, once
we only support unattended-installations for Fedora's flavors of Linux. But
the family is growing fast, fortunately.

A few days ago Zeeshan found out how the unattended-installations work on
Debian/Ubuntu. A few hours ago I found out how it works for OpenSuSE.

So, our current cases are:
- Fedora/RHEL/CentOS: ks=hd:<device>:/<filename>
- OpenSuSE: autoyast=device://<device>/autoinst.xml
- Debian/Ubuntu: decompress the initrd, put the file into it, compress
again and boot with this fresh compressed initrd.

The 3rd method is also supported by Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, but is not by
OpenSuSE).
Ah, so bad, looks like we don't have a standard way to follow.

With the problem presented, let me ask the 1 million dollars question: How
to workaround this problem?

I'm going to add OpenSuSE install-scripts for Libosinfo and I think we will
want to use these scripts on Boxes.
Thinking a bit here, at least for Fedora* and OpenSuSE, we could add a
property in the install-scripts, "command-line-format" to specify the
format. Something contenting:
- installation method (ks, autoyast) -- could be represented by "!"
- installation method option (hd, device) - could be represented by "@"
- device where the script will be put in (sda, sdb) - could be represented
by "#"
- expected filename (fedora.ks, autoinst.xml)
So, we could set the propert, for Fedora, as: !=@:#/$. And for OpenSuSE as:
!=@;//#/$.
Returning this string, the application could ask for libosinfo about the
each property discussed.

Ah, in the install-script file it could be represented as:
<command-line-format>
  <format>!=@:#/$.</format>
  <installation-method>hd</installation-method>

What do you think about this?

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio