[Libosinfo] [v2 1/8] API to query format of device driver

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 13:20:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 05:38:27AM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> Actually you and I both missed something important here: The libosinfo
> db doesn't just come from libosinfo. We allow downstream and apps to
> add to the DB. They can as well add new device drivers.

Currently install scripts only support one format, so there is not much
point for downstream to add a driver in an unsupported format. I don't even
know if you can append easily information to an existing OS (as opposed to
overwriting an existing OS) to add a driver while keeping the existing
instal script.
Adding another driver format requires patching libosinfo (schema/parsing
changes), so we'll know about it if that's needed, and then we can think
talk again about this API in light of this new format.

Or am I missing some use case here?

Christophe