[Libosinfo] [v3 3/5] installer: API to query device driver signing requirement

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 13:41:44 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 05:34:08AM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 04:54:09AM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> >> From: "Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)" <zeeshanak at gnome.org>
> >>
> >> Some OS vendors recommend or require device drivers to be signed by them
> >> before these device drivers could be installed on their OS. This
> >> recommendation/requirement then also applies to the installer scripts of
> >> that particular OS.
> >
> > Do we need to expose this to osinfo users as you added a magic workaround
> > for the signing requirement ?
>
> I think we'll need this for win7 if we don't manage to find a similar
> magic for it. Lets have the API in place already for that.

Once this is in a release, we cannot get rid of this API if this ends up
not being needed. Since I'm under the impression a libosinfo release is
needed very soon, and that there will not be enough time to see if
disabling/reenabling driver signing is doable in Win7 or not, I'd prefer we
decide on adding this API or not after the win7 research has been done.

For what it's worth, the steps described at
http://www.howinthetech.com/disabling-digital-driver-signing-in-windows-7/
worked for me to disable driver signing when I tried on win7 64bits
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
I did not try to reenable driver signing after that though.

Christophe