[Libosinfo] [libosinfo] Allow to use system pci.ids/usb.ids files

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 17:26:13 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 08:18:12PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> AFAIK, these files are even going to be part of systemd in near future.

There was some opposition to that on fedora-devel ;)
For what it's worth, I've also looked at the udev hwdb API. It seems using
it optionnally in libosinfo wouldn't be very hard, and this should save us
some parsing work.
The problematic part would be to support
osinfo_db_get_device_list() which at the moment lists all devices contained
in usb.ids/pci.ids, and the udev hwdb API does not provide a way to get
that (maybe that could be added). I don't know if this would be an
acceptable change to only return the list of devices that are actually used
by an OS, install script, ... in the osinfo DB.

Christophe