[Libosinfo] windows 2008 R2 install script problems

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Nov 13 10:52:03 UTC 2013

Hey,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 02:30:42PM -0500, Dennis Kliban wrote:
> In an attempt to integrate libosinfo with nova image builder, I have been
> successful at automating Fedora installs using kickstart files generated
> by libosinfo.
>
> However, my attempt to use the install script generated for Windows 2008
> R2 has resulted in the installation wizard presenting an error message
> that claims my product key is invalid.  I have manually gone through the
> install and was able to successfully use the same product key.  I was
> also able to do an automated install using ImageFactory (with an install
> script from Oz -
> https://github.com/clalancette/oz/blob/master/oz/auto/Windows2008.auto).
>
> I then installed gnome-boxes and attempted a fully automated install
> using the same Windows 2008 R2 installation media.  Gnome-boxes produced
> the same error I was seeing during installs in Nova.
>
> My lack of knowledge of the technologies powering libosinfo prevents me
> from actually writing a patch that would fix this problem.  However, I
> will happily help figure out how to fix the final XML.  The script
> generated by libosinfo seems to be longer than the one linked above.
> Perhaps the above script can be used as a starting point for reworking
> what is available in libosinfo.

I'm not sure win2k8r2 automatic installations have been tested :-/ Your
best bet is probably to experiment with the Oz-generated script and the
libosinfo-generated script, and try to get a working script by editing the
latter to try and make it more similar to the one generated by libosinfo.
Iirc, there can be 2 different ProductKey sections. The Oz script only has
one of these while libosinfo contains the 2 sections, maybe this is what is
confusing the Windows installer.

Christophe