[Libosinfo] [libosinfo 1/4] Add an optional 'is-snapshot' tag to OS entries

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Wed Nov 13 12:57:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Daniel P. Berrange
<berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 07:00:58PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 01:17:56AM +0100, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
>> > It's silly, but I think it's worth using the tag name 'pre-release'
>> > over 'is-snapshot', as I wouldn't be surprised if some day libosinfo
>> > would have to differentiate between disk/image snapshot and
>> > "official/clean" pre-release. (one could have various
>> > personal/modified "snapshots of a particular pre-release", not the
>> > other way around)
>>
>> GNOME continuous is not really a pre-release of anything. I don't really
>> see disk snapshots showing up in libosinfo. What about <unreleased/> ?
>
> Are you saying that 'GNOME continuous' doesn't actually ever have
> formal releases ?

Yes. That is correct.

> If so, then I agree that we should have a way to
> distinguish between OS which follow the "continuous deployment"
> model vs those which are pre-releases. So how about names
>
>   <is-pre-release/>
>   <is-continuous-snapshot/>

I don't think thats what Christophe proposed(?) and I don't think we
need to have two booleans for this. Just one genericly named boolean
prop is fine.

FWIW, I think we are overthinking this. Lets just choose a name and go
with it even if its not exactly correct ('pre-release') or there is a
small chance for some confusion in future ('snapshot').

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124