[Libosinfo] Script broken for Fedora net ISO

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Tue Nov 4 17:21:31 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Vladimir Benes recently told me about the issue of express
installation and net ISOs of Fedora in Boxes. There are two issues
with this:

1. Internet is required w/o script communicating this requirement to App.
2. Some remote repositories need to be setup, otherwise installer
waits for user to manually set them up.

I thought of some solutions but none without any issues:

1. a. Add 'needs-internet' to media entries
    b. Pass media info to script generation functions.
    c. Modify fedora script to add required repos if 'needs-internet'

    This would be my first choice but how can we implement (b) w/o breaking API.

2. a. Add 'internet-available' param to InstallConfig
    b. Modify fedora script to add required repos if 'internet-available'

    This would add to the work of App as they'll have to check
availability of internet and set this. FWIW this won't be an issue for
Boxes at least as it already checks that to ensure scripts requiring
internet have it available. Perhaps we can assume that for other apps
too?

3. a. script templates specify variants supported
    b. Add variant info to net ISOs
    c. We add separate scripts for netiso variants

    The main/first issue with this would be the fact that volume IDs
on ISOs are the same for both full and net installer ISOs. AFAIK this
is true for all distros, not just Fedora.

Better ideas welcome!

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)