[Libosinfo] [osinfo-db] rhel: Fix detection of RHEL-7.2 (x86_64) ISOs

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Dec 23 08:11:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 11:11:43PM +0100, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 02:13:24PM +0100, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> >> When trying to install the free developer image[0] I've noticed that its
> >> volume-id[1] doesn't match the regular expression we have been using.
> >> Let's relax the expression, as already done for 7.0 and 7.1 for x86_64
> >> ISOs.
> >
> > What happens is that strings in the ISO header are 32 bytes long, and
> > are padded with spaces (0x20), but nothing in on_pvd_read()/on_svd_read()
> > is removing these padding spaces from the string. So we will always be
> > getting
> > [SOME-ISO-LABEL                  ] from osinfo_media_get_volume_id()
> > rather than the expected [SOME-ISO-LABEL].
> > This explains why the $ anchor does not work here.
> > Imo it would be better to make sure we drop the extra spaces when
> > reading the ISO data.
>
> I have to disagree and I'll explain why ...
> Changing the .xml will provide an immediate solution till the next
> libosinfo release.

Ah, right, we can have unsync'ed releases of libosinfo/osinfo-db.

> When the release is done, I'm happy to provide
> patches removing these workarounds present in pretty much all the
> (rhel) xmls.

Yes, that's a good plan (fwiw, I would only call the change in this
patch a workaround as it makes changes which should not make a
difference if there was not another bug. The existing IDs without $
might just be luck rather than intentional workaround ;)

Christophe