[Libosinfo] Moving GIT repo to gitlab.com

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 3 13:38:24 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,

Currently the libosinfo master git repository is on the Fedora hosted
git server. As we split out the core database and tools from the GObject
base library we're going to need to create new git repos. While I could
do so on Fedora, it is rather tedious because it is not self-service,
it requires opening tickets with Fedora infra.  Fedora git has also
tended to be rather lacking performance when pushing/pulling git over
the years, and shows no signs of improving.

The primary reason why I chose Fedora hosted originally was to be running
the project on open source infrastrcture. That goal still applies, so I'm
not interested in moving to github.com, no matter how shiny it currently
is [1].

I think that gitlab.com is a reasonable destination though. It is based
on open source software and offers the same ease of use as github does
with fully self-service API for managing project membership & git repos

So I'm suggesting we immediately migrate to gitlab.com. Assuming that's
fine with current committers, I'll setup the project org & import hte
git repo. Each committer would just have to create themselves a login
account so I can add them.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] Back in the day sourceforge was just as shiny & attractive to every
    open source project, and that didn't turn out so well in the long
    term when then needed to monetize their investment.