[Libosinfo] osinfo-db source tarball

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Thu Oct 20 17:55:10 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel,
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 09:30:49AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 08:32:05PM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I looked into packaging osinfo-db for Debian and looking at:
> >
> >   https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/i/libosinfo/osinfo-db-20160728.tar.xz
> >
> > it looks quit different from https://gitlab.com/libosinfo/osinfo-db
> > . Would it be possible to ship a proper source tarball that:
> >
> > * contains a license file
>
> The tarball isn't supposed to contain anything other than the DB XML
> files. Indeed the way it is created is by running osinfo-db-export
> on the installed database directory, so it won't pick up anything
> other than the files in that dir, so no license file will be found
> there.

I think it's not exacthel the "source" tarball then. It's the "binary"
tarball that contains the database files. I like to be sure we can
rebuild the xml files from the xml.in files.

In Debian people often fetch the source package, apply pathes on top of
it and post these to the bug tracking system (because we have lots of
tooling around it). I'd like to make this as simple as possible
(including forwarding this upstream you libosinfo authors).

So I took a different approch and ran:

    git archive HEAD | xz -c > ../osinfo-db_0.20160728+git20161020.orig.tar.xz

and used that as the source tarball for building.

> > * contains the Makefile to execute and run the build so we can use the
> >   preferred form of modificaation?
>
> You are *not* supposed to unpack the tarball manually. Run the
> osinfo-db-import tool, passing it the tarball, as described at
>
>    https://libosinfo.org/download/

Yes, I'm doing so after rebuilding the XML files:

    https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-libvirt/osinfo-db.git/tree/debian/rules#n10

So would it make sense to build two things: the tarball as shipped atm
plus a separate one (osinfo-db-source_<date>.tar.xz) as generated above?
If so I'd send a patch for the Makefile to generate both.

Cheers,
 -- Guido