[Libosinfo] Improve the size of default memory for rhel6 guest to 2048M

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 10:36:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 06:25:02AM -0400, Ming Xie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I meet a problem that guest can't boot into rhel6 after installation
> or rhel6 can't be installed in guest if the guest has only 1GB memory
> and has no swap partition, I know this is not bug because rhel6 systems
> with low memory(1 GB and less) and less than the recommended amount of
> swap space may have issues ranging from low responsivity up to and
> including complete inability to boot after the installation
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/sn-Supported_Installation_Hardware-x86.html
> I see virt-manager built for rhel7 could adjust memory to 4096M when
> create windows guest , but the default memory size always will be set
> as 1024M when create linux guest in virt-manager, customers may don't
> know rhel6 need to create swap if memory < =1GB, I think the default
> memory size 1GB is not appropriate when create rhel6 guest in
> virt-manager, besides, virtualbox has a related bug about this
> ttps://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8490 , customer has thought default
> memory setting is too low to install rhel6 in guest
> Could we improve the size of default memory for rhel6 guest to 2048M
> so that customer doesn't need to care about whether need to create a
> swap partition if mem < 1G and it will reduce the risk of failure
> installation in rhel6 guest

Yes, I don't know why we have set the recommended level at 1GB, as it
is clearly too low to be useful. We currently have the min ram set
at 512 MB:

    <resources arch="all">
      <minimum>
        <n-cpus>1</n-cpus>
        <ram>536870912</ram>
      </minimum>

      <recommended>
        <cpu>400000000</cpu>
        <ram>1073741824</ram>
        <storage>9663676416</storage>
      </recommended>
    </resources>

Based on this:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel-limits

512 MB is only acceptable for i386, x86_64 requires 1 GB min and
PPC wants 2 GB. So we clearly need to update the RHEL6 limits
both minimum and recommended.

Could you submit a patch for the various RHEL XML files to update
these limits.

Regards,
Daniel