[Libosinfo] Request for feedback: Differentiate server/desktop ISOs

Fabiano Fidêncio fabiano at fidencio.org
Sun Jun 10 20:18:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 6:00 PM, Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre.lureau at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 5:07 PM, Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano at fidencio.org> wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> I've talked to Felipe Borges a few days ago and he told me one thing
>> he'd need, from GNOME Boxes perspective, is whether an ISO is intended
>> to be a "Desktop" or a "Server" ISO.
>>
>> IMO supporting this on libosinfo should be fairly easy, but I'd like
>> to check with all you whether my approach seems okay, before start to
>> implement it.
>>
>> A simple "flavour" field in the <media> entry would do the job. We can
>> have an enum as "desktop", "server" and "default". The "default" would
>> be selected in case anything is specified and would be treated as
>> "it's not specific a desktop neither a server ISO".
>>

> Instead of being exclusive, perhaps that should be an attribute. You
> could be both desktop & server, or none of them, in which case it's
> kind of bare-bone.

Hmm. Bear with me here. :-)

My suggestion was also an attribute in <media> like:
    <media arch="x86_64" live="true" flavour="desktop">
      <variant id="workstation"/>
      <url>https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/28/Workstation/x86_64
   /iso/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-28-1.1.iso</url>
      <iso>
        <volume-id>Fedora-WS-Live-28.*</volume-id>
        <system-id>LINUX</system-id>
      </iso>
      <kernel>isolinux/vmlinuz</kernel>
      <initrd>isolinux/initrd.img</initrd>
    </media>

Is this too far from your idea? Would you mind giving me an example of
your suggestion?

> What about "desktop flavours" ? :)
> https://www.ubuntu.com/download/flavours
> https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

This is something we can actually start to support. For now, we don't
maintain any spin/flavours as part of osinfo db (AFAIR).
But that could also be done and apps as Boxes could take advantage of it.

How do you see this in an XML, as an example?

>> The idea behind this is to simple allow apps as GNOME Boxes to sort
>> how they'd present the medias to the users according to what the user
>> needs.
>>
>> Is this approach okay? May I start implementing it?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> --
>> Fabiano Fidêncio

Best Regards,