[Libosinfo] [osinfo-db 0/1] Add Fedora Atomic Workstation

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Wed Mar 21 11:02:59 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 19 March 2018 at 14:30, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 02:00:30PM +0100, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 17 March 2018 at 16:03, Fabiano Fidêncio <fidencio at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > From: Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano at fidencio.org>
>> >
>> > I'm sending this patch on behalf of Matthias Clasen, who opened a
>> > merge-request on our gitlab repo.
>> >
>> > We should document (in the gitlab, preferrably) our "sending patches"
>> > process and have the "merge-request" feature disabled from there (if
>> > possible).
>>
>> I don't understand why MR is disabled actually. I would suggest for
>> libosinfo to start using MRs exclusively instead of mailing-list but
>> if not, then we should at least allow people to submit MRs, if that's
>> their preferred method. Most devs you'd meet out there will not be
>> familiar with the concept of "patches on the list" concept.
>
> I don't want to encourage a development workflow that is reliant on
> 3rd party hosted service we have no control over. As it stands we're
> just using a gitlab as a plain git repo, so can move it anywhere else
> we like without any impact on our way of working.

Thanks for explaining. Although that does not sound like a very
compelling reason to me (considering that the mailing list is also
hosted somewhere and gitlab is open source) to make it harder for
people to contribute, it doesn't explain why we can't allow MRs for
people who want to use that method.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali