[Libosinfo] [Patch] bump default ubuntu RAM size

Didier Roche didier.roche at canonical.com
Mon Oct 8 14:25:21 UTC 2018

Le 08/10/2018 à 13:21, Fabiano Fidêncio a écrit :
> On Mon, 2018-10-08 at 13:12 +0200, Didier Roche wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we can be more fine-grained, basically:
>> * 16.04 -> Min and recommended is 2Gb (this was bumped when our
>> 16.04.x
>> maintenance image started to include snapd)
>> * 18.04 and onward: 2Gb min, 4Gb recommended.
>> However, if we bump recommended in that file to 4Gb, GNOME Boxes
>> will
>> set that as a default, which we aren't really keen on (the 4Gb
>> recommended is a large estimate for people using a lot of tabs in
>> their
>> browser, which isn't our GNOME Boxes typical usage we are targeting
>> at).
>>
>> Does it makes sense?
>
> On one hand it does, on the other hand ... I'd still prefer to have the
> recommended amount of RAM properly set in osinfo-db.
>
> AFAIR, in Boxes the user can change the amount of RAM to the minimum
> one if their decide to do so.
>
> Also, the recommended disk size has been increased, right? Would be
> nice to have it changed as well.

It's a bit tricky because the configuration is shared between Ubuntu
desktop & server.

We discussed that at length within the desktop team, and it seems the
conscensus is to separate the physical install recommendations vs
virtualised one. Will Cooke (manager of the desktop team) has just
updated the wiki page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements?action=diff&rev2=110&rev1=109.
I hope that facilitate that patch which is increasing a non working
configuration.
Keep me posted.

Cheers,
Didier