[Libosinfo] RFC: Add clock/timers info in osinfo-db

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 14:23:19 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 03:19:26PM +0100, Martin Sivak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I consider profiles to be a way of expressing the best practice
> > recommendations for configuring a virtual machine to satisfy some
> > declared scenario.
>
> I agree here.
>
> > This covers data that is specific to a hypervisor,
> > or a (guest,hypervisor) pairing,
> > potentially taking into account
> > goals for runtime performance, as well as other aspects that might
> > be relevant.
>
> But not here. At least not completely. Some configuration is not just
> best practice recommendation, but a crucial and (almost-)mandatory
> setting that will make the VM work properly regardless of the
> scenario. And that kind of information should go into osinfo.

I don't think we're in disagreement actually. When I said "best practice"
I do in fact consider it to cover stuff that may be any of "nice to have",
"strongly recommended" or "crucial / mandatory".

Even if we call it "mandatory" we can't force applicaitons to actually
use the data we provide in the profile. We can though say "its your fault"
if the guest doesn't behave optimally if the app ignores the profiles.

Regards,
Daniel