[Libosinfo] RFC: Add clock/timers info in osinfo-db

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 15:52:59 UTC 2019

> IOW there should not be any distinction between the way we deal
> with a general purpose profile for a guest OS, from the way we
> deal with an SAP or Oracle optimized profile for a guest OS. I
> would consider it a big failure if we had different ways to
> handle the general purpose config vs the application optimized
> config.

The issue here is in maintenance. Either you maintain the full matrix
of profiles or you have to deal with conflicts between what guest OS,
application and hypervisor all allow. Also some of the configuration
logic depends on hypervisor, libvirt and kernel and product versions
you will not be able to express. Some device might be working
according to the database, but the product owners (RHV, CNV, ..) might
decide to not use it for support reasons (legal, too many bugs,
integration issues..). So the product specific (as opposed to generic)
application profile can be based on more than just generally available
hard requirements data.

What we are after are the pure data right now as we have to prepare
custom templates anyway. Neither CNV nor oVirt for example use pure
libvirt XML. Both add additional information needed for the whole
ecosystem to work properly.

Martin