Using gitlab labels for issues and MRs

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon May 18 09:19:56 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 09:08:35AM +0200, Pino Toscano wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 May 2020 17:49:55 CEST Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > For libvirt I figured it was useful to distinguish different types of
> > request too
> >
> >  - bug  - undesirable behaviour
> >  - enhancement  - request for new feature
> >  - documentation - improvement to docs
> >  - support - end user usage query
> >  - discussion - some topic focused discussion (ie this email thread :-)
>
> Interesting, that means categorizing them also from a "different axis".
>
> - "bug" vs "enhancement": I'm not sure we need both, maybe we can use
>   only "enhancement" to replace the "RFE" prefix used in issues

I included bug because I think it is desirable to have every single
issue tagged with at least 1 of these five tags. This makes it easy
to identify issues which have not yet been triaged by anyone. If we
don't tag issues as "bug", then we can't tell if it is a new issue
no one has looked at, or if it is a issue that is considered a bug.

> - "documentation": definitely something I had in mind, apparently forgot
>   to add it to my list -- done now
>
> - "support": I think that user questions (neither bugs nor RFEs) should
>   be closed, and redirecting users to this list; I personally do not
>   like how sometimes the issue trackers in github/gitlab projects turn
>   into user forums, and it becomes really hard to look for issues

We don't get very many such requests in libosinfo AFAICT, so I don't
think it'll make a problem using the issue tracker. The line between
bug & support request is often not so obvious when first filing, so
it is natural for users to use the issue tracker.

> - "discussion": similar issue than "support" IMHO

I guess this was more about developers discussing design options.
The reason to have this in the issue tracker, is that the discussion
will typically lead to one or more RFEs and bug reports, and thus
the discussion issue becomes a tracker that links to all the pieces
of work needing doing.

Regards,
Daniel