[Libvir] Request for additional entry points

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 21:40:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 04:40:13PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   So we have 2 more APIs which allows to define the XML for a domain
> and name it. That then allow to reserve that name, and the domain may be started
> later with a simpler API.

Since I have troubles understanding why you have such an issue with this,
let's try to be as clear as possible. What I would expect is the following
APIs to be added:

/* define a domain, but does not start it */
virDomainPtr   virDomainDefineXML(virConnectPtr conn, const char *xml);
/* undefine a domain but does not stop it if running */
int            virDomainUndefine(virDomainPtr domain);
/* list the defined domains */
int virConnectListDefinedDomains(virConnectPtr conn, const char **names,
                                 int maxnames);
/* launch a defined domain */
int virDomainCreate(virDomainPtr domain);

  extensions to the current behaviour:

- new state for defined non-running domains showing in virNodeGetInfo
- virDomainLookupByName() could return a defined non-running domain
- virDomainCreateLinux() would fail if a domain with the same name is
  already defined
- a number of existing APIs would fail on defined but non-running domains.

  that's it. Now what is fundamentally wrong with that ? You don't have to
use it if you don't need it I assume the problem is harder than this.