[Libvir] Request for additional entry points

Bret McMillan bretm at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 02:48:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 17:43 -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> I think there is a much harder question concerning the interplay of
> libvirt and the xm tools that this API discussion is somewhat
> sidestepping. Currently, the xm tools set a defacto standard for how you
> define inactive domains; libvirt will add a second mechanism with the
> proposed API. And since the libvirt XML descriptions are a much nicer
> way to describe a domain than the python scripts in /etc/xen, there's a
> big temptation to write libvirt based tools that use the XML description
> and replicate (some) of the xm functionality. That would give us three
> separate ways to define an inactive domain on a local system - madness
> ensues.
>
> I would be very curious to hear how people see how the libvirt XML
> descriptions and xm or libvirt-based xm-like tools would interact.

David, I think you're capturing my main concern here... deviation from
the norm of other tools we'll end up possibly shipping in the distro.  I
can understand how, from an RHN point of view, these calls can be pretty
easily used, but in ways that would be very RHN-specific.  If that's
different from how the commandline tools we ship w/ the distro deal with
things, that could really cause some customer confusion.

--Bret