[Libvir] FC5 bug with kernel/initrd paths

Daniel Hiltgen dhiltgen at vmware.com
Thu Apr 20 22:54:59 UTC 2006

I just started experimenting with libvirt on FC5 and ran into something
that doesn't seem quite right.

I've created a VM using the xenguest-install.py script.  I've tried
grabbing the XML from virsh using dumpxml, but the kernel and initrd
paths are invalid.  Specifically:

 <os>
    <type>linux</type>
    <kernel>/var/lib/xen/vmlinuz.276riA</kernel>
    <initrd>/var/lib/xen/initrd.z1bslj</initrd>
    <cmdline>ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet</cmdline>
  </os>

(I see the same bogus paths in xm list --long)

If I shut down the VM and attempt to power it back on using the API and
this XML definition, it fails with:

libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: No such domain guest1i
Failed to get devices for domain guest1
error: Failed to create domain

If I boot up the VM, and copy the kernel and initrd image out of it's
/boot partition onto the main filesystem, and tweak the XML to point to
those paths, I can boot the system through libvirt, but the files are
automatically deleted after I boot.  Also, every time I boot using xm
create, I get a different bogus kernel/initrd path.

Is this expected behavior, or is there a bug/mismatch between libvirt
and the underlying Xen modules in FC5?

Thanks,