[Libvir] Request for additional entry points

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at novell.com
Tue Apr 4 23:45:56 UTC 2006

Daniel Veillard wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 04:47:38PM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>

>I just added the following:
>
>/**
> * virDomainReboot:
> * @domain: a domain object
> * @flags: extra flags for the reboot operation, not used yet
> *
> * Reboot a domain, the domain object is still usable there after but
> * the domain OS is being stopped for a restart.
> * Note that the guest OS may ignore the request.
> *
> * Returns 0 in case of success and -1 in case of failure.
> */
>int
>virDomainReboot(virDomainPtr domain, unsigned int flags)
>
>there is also a new "virsh reboot" command to test it.
>However there when trying it I saw that the guest OS shutdown in reboot mode:
>
>------------------------
>Turning off quotas:
>Unmounting pipe file systems:
>Please stand by while rebooting the system...
>md: stopping all md devices.
>md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
>Restarting system.
>.
>------------------------
>
>  but the domain was not relaunched by default. I guess this also requires
>to set up specific xenstore attributes so that the domain is actually restarted.
>So not completely done yet.

You are probably aware of this but FYI...

I used virDomainReboot() with success when the domain was created with
"xm create" and "on_reboot = 'restart'" in domain config file.

Looking at virDomainParseXMLDesc() in xml.c I see we are not accounting
for a <on_reboot> element (or on_crash, on_poweroff) in the XML.  Are
you working on this Daniel or should I take a stab at it?  I'm guessing
you just want elements like

<on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
<on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
<on_crash>restart</on_crash>

Same goes turning sxp to XML in xend_parse_sexp_desc() in xend_internal.c.

Regards,
Jim