[Libvir] Request for additional entry points

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 18:42:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:51:53AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >I'd actually question whether libvirt should have any concept of 'passive'
> >or 'inactive' domains at all. Just to play out a few scenarios:
> >

> We've discussed this before and I think the most compelling argument for
> passive domain support in libvirt (and even at a lower level such as
> Xend) is the following scenario:
>
> Let's say a user creates a virtual FC6 virtual machine that she is going
> to use to test her apps under Gnome (she's a KDE user).  The machine
> isn't always there b/c she rarely needs it.  She created it with some
> nifty KDE tool that has yet to be written.
>
> Of course, she finds out about this neat applet that you can use to
> managing running domains.  If there isn't a common way of accessing
> passive domains then she won't see the FC6 VM.

Indeed, that interoperability is the core problem, however, I think that
solving it higher up the stack could result in a more flexible & effective
solution. Even if the solution is not part of libvirt, there is still
plenty of scope for defining a standard way to enumerate & interact with
passive domains.

Storing the passive domains in libvirt in the low-level XML format
will mean that the KDE virt tool will need to either manage all its
passive domains in the libvirt XML format, or maintain a denormalization
of its real persistent format & keep that synced with libvirt, neither
of which are particularly nice.

So say, the Virt Applet finds out about the passive domain 'Gnome test'
that was creted with the KDE virt tool, and wants to present a drop down
menu allowing the user to run it. Now it could get the XML def for the
passive domain from a registry in libvirt, and then pass it backk to
libvirt's create domain method - bypassing the original KDE virt tool
which defined the domain. This would all work fine, however, it does
constrain what you can do when starting the domain.

For example, consider that the original KDE virt tool also has some idea
of policy to mediate between different VMs running on the host. WIth the
applet getting the config & launching the domain directly via libvirt, the
KDE tool is now cut out of the loop - it can merely *react* to the newly
started domain.

An alternate model for dealing with passive domains could revolve around
the provision of a standardized DBus service API, org.example.virt.Manager.
At its simplest, this could contain two APIs, 'list inactive domains' and
'start domain'. So the applet can obtain a list of inactive domains and
present them in a menu allowing a user to choose one to start. When the
user asks the applet to start one, the applet can call the 'start domain'
method in the service.

At the other end of the picture, the KDE virt tool would provide an
implementation of the org.example.virt.Manager DBus service. Thus the
applet's request to start the 'Gnome test' domain gets routed to the
KDE tool, which in turn talks to libvirt passing down the raw XML
description of the domain.

The virt tool now has much more flexibility in how it deals with passive
domains. For example, it can maintain its master list of passive domains
in any format it likes - it might like to separate out its definition of
the domain's hardware (# of CPUs, # of NICS, MAC addresses), from the
definition of policy (CPU priority, schedular settings, amount of memory).
If starting the new domain would over-commit on the host's resources, the
tool can now pro-actively suspend, pause  or shutdown other domains, or
give the user the option to reduce the memory for the new domain before
starting.

The virt tool could now even be fetching its list of inactive domain on
demand from an external source. Or if one has an external management server,
one could drop in an alternate implementation of the org.example.virt.Manager
DBus service, which talks to this remote server. Thus the applet would
transparently be listing & activating domains which are defined & managed
remotely from the host itself. Going back to the original problem, the
CIM provider would also be able to trivially talk to the local DBus service
to get the listing of passive domains.

> Now, I don't think that *all* domains should have to have passive
> equivalents (which is a requirement in the CIM provider today) because
> of some of the scenarios you outlined.  However, I think not attempting
> to have a common API for passive domains is going to creative a mess as
> we get a larger number of management tools.

I defintely agree with the need for formalizing an API for dealing with
passive domains, just not neccessarily from within libvirt, since it
puts applications into a low level straight jacket of 'list domains' &
'start this domain config', preventing the more interesting interactions
between both UI applications & other components such as virt policy
service all of which run higher up the stack where libvirt has pretty
limited visibility.

Regards,
Dan.