[Libvir] Virtual CPUs functions

Philippe Berthault Philippe.Berthault at Bull.net
Tue Aug 1 10:45:18 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm working on the vpcu patch of Michel Ponceau because he is in
vacation for a long time.

Michel has proposed to add 3 APIs to libvirt:
  - virDomainSetVcpus
  - virDomainPinVcpu
  - virDomainGetVcpus

I've seen in libvirt mail archives that there was a problem with the
virDomainGetVcpus API because the virCpuInfo structure contains a CPU
map for only 256 physical CPUs.

Your proposition to remove cpumap field from virCpuInfo structure and
add it as parameter to the virDomainGetVcpus API isn't valid for the
following reason:

The virDomainGetVcpus API fills an array of virCpuInfo structures (one
virCpuInfo for one VCPU) but cpumap is for one VCPU, not for all VCPUs
at whole. Your proposition can work only if cpumap is a array of array
of characters and if maplen is also an array of integers. This is very
complicated solution and not elegant.

I've also seen that you make a mistake in your proposition because you
compute the cpuMapLen from the number of virtual CPUs but the cpumap is
related to physical CPUs, not virtual CPUs.

So, in conclusion, I propose, as you, to remove cpumap field of the
virCpuInfo structure but to add an API to retrieve the CPU map of one
VCPU. Such API would be:

int virDomainGetCpus(virDomainPtr domain, unsigned int vcpu, unsigned
char *cpumap, int maplen);

The name is ...GetCpus (not 'Vcpus') because this API get the physical
CPU map, not the virtual CPU map.

Regards,
Philippe Berthault.