[Libvir] Major extensio of test backend driver functionality

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Aug 16 15:24:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:09:10PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Ok, here comes the huge patch for today - a major extension of the test
> driver backend...
>
> As well as the interal hardcoded 'test:///default' hypervisor config
> you can now provide a path to an arbitrary XML file defining your HV
> and its domains. An example file to define a moster 128x6GHz CPU box
> with 128 GB of RAM and two guest domains looks like:
>
>   <node>
>     <domain file="testdomfv0.xml"/>
>     <domain file="testdomfc4.xml"/>
>
>     <cpu>
>       <mhz>6000</mhz>
>       <model>i986</model>
>       <active>50</active>
>       <nodes>4</nodes>
>       <sockets>4</sockets>
>       <cores>4</cores>
>       <threads>2</threads>
>     </cpu>
>     <memory>137438953472</memory>
>   </node>
>
> The individual domains 'testdomfv0.xml' and 'testdomfc4.xml' are defined
> using the regular libvirt XML format. The only exception is that the 'type'
> attribute on the top level '<domain>' tag should be 'test' instead of 'xen'

  Sounds very cool :-)

[...]
> Next up, I've written implementations of the set memory, set max memory,
> set vcpus, dump xml, create linux APIs for the test driver. THe only major

  Okay. Push that too, you're basically in control of the test driver :-)

> areas of functionality lacking in the test driver now are handling of disk
> and network devices when creating domains, and the VCPU pinning methods.
> This test backend makes testing the virt-manager application much more
> reliable - although we still do need some level of testing against a real
> Xen backend (for example domain creation).

  The big problem of real regression tests is the amount of data needed,
it's like 1GB per Xen system image, I don't see how that could go into CVS,
though I would really like to be able to always run 'make tests' and know
I didn't broke something in my local changes ... I welcome ideas on the
subject, the test driver will allow to cover some part of the code, but
not all of it that's sure.