[Libvir] Libvirt Build problems

Omer Khalid Omer.Khalid at cern.ch
Tue Dec 12 17:42:01 UTC 2006

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for you help. I installed xen-devel rpms and manage to make, make
check and make install libvirt.

Then I tried to test it by trying the simple python script given on the
libvirt site.
http://libvirt.org/python.html

It failed and complained about not finding libvirt module. I guess Python
was unable to locate it. I thought "make install" for libvirt would have
taken care of it, but seems not to.
How could I make Python aware of my libvirt module? Do I need to create an
envoirnmental variable or else?

====
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "testLibvirt.py", line 1, in ?
    import libvirt
ImportError: No module named libvirt
====

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Omer

On 12/11/06, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:22:41PM +0100, Omer Khalid wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to build libvirt on *SL4 (kernal =
> 2.6.12.6-xen3_12.1_rhel4.1).
> > I tried both snapshot tar ball and the cvs checked out version. With the
> tar
> > ball, after running the ./configure script, make file is created. But
> make
> > file fails and complains the following:
> >
> > libvirt.c:24:16: xs.h: No such file or directory
> > In file included from libvirt.c:28:
> > xen_internal.h:15:26: xen/dom0_ops.h: No such file or directory
>
>   You don't have the include files for development against Xen installed.
> Ask your sysadmin to install them (or whoever maintains your SL4 version).
> I already answered something similar last week, reposting the same bits
> won't help. Check with the system administrator to get the development
> files for Xen installed on your system. That system is specific to CERN,
> apparently, that's why you should ask for support locally ! We can't
> debug that !
>
> Daniel
>
> --
> Red Hat Virtualization group http://redhat.com/virtualization/
> Daniel Veillard      | virtualization library  http://libvirt.org/
> veillard at redhat.com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/
> http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine  http://rpmfind.net/

CERN – European Organization for Nuclear Research
Information Technology Department
CH-1211 Geneva 23

Phone: +41 (0) 22 767 7996
Fax:     +41 (0) 22 767 4900