[Libvir] ruby bindings

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 09:10:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 10:30:23PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> >>I have been considering writing my own ruby wrappers around Xen's
> >>lowlevel libraries but if libvir is a higher-level more stable API
> >>perhaps it would make more sense for me to wrap around libvir.  If you
> >>are not working on ruby bindings I will do so myself and eventually
> >>provide patches.
> >
> >  I now provide python bindings, I see no problem providing ruby ones
> >too, I expect those to be activated by configure flags and detection
> >of the available runtime.
> >  In general (i.e. other projects) I think I'm known to say "I take
> >  patches"
> >quite often, I don't see why I would change this with libvir :-)
>
> Is libvir-api.xml a standard document type?  Mainly I'm wondering if
> there might be an existing code generator (similar to your generator.py)
> that would output C code appropriate for building the ruby extension.

  No, that's just something I cooked up for libxml2, and reused in various
other projects. If autogenerated API 'feel' good at the Ruby level then I
would suggest to use the .xml as the input and build a generator, it will
avoid errors, and reduce your maintainance work as we grow the libvir API.
The XML format is dead simple and as it has been in use for libxml2 for years
it's unlikely it will change (I may just add the version of the lib where
an entry point was added as an extra optional attribute at some point).