[Libvir] just a question about libvirt evolution

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Jul 20 15:41:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:27:47PM +0200, Philippe Berthault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Several major modifications will appear this year in future Xen releases
> (3.0.3 and 3.0.4) that may have impacts on libvirt. These modifications
> (see xen roadmap edited by Ian Pratt in july 2006) are :
> - Introduction of XML-RPC,
> - Xen configuration files in XML format,
> - Suppression of S-Expressions,
> - etc..
>
> What is the libvirt position about these points ?

  Follow, if possible guide, but keep backward compatibility :-)

> Is the initial goal of libvirt to mask Xen evolutions will be always
> possible ?

  The only risk I see right now, is about the XML format, I raised the
point here in Ottawa (OLS) and the answer texto was
  "we don't see why libvirt XML format should be different from Xen one"
my own biased viewpoint is that I don't see why Xen upcoming XML format
should be different from libvirt one, but there is some hopes :-)

> The most problematic problem would be the configurations files in XML
> format. Libvirt already supports its own XML format of configuration
> files. It seems to me that it would be interesting to use the same XML
> format (or a compatible format) in libvirt and in Xen. Is there a plan
> in this direction ?

  I raised the issue publicly, got the previous answer, I'm afraid they
didn't look at it yet, and could not get any technical answer at this
point, but we have a statement to this effect. The best you can do
is also give feedback to the Xen guys to this intent :-)