[Libvir] Source repository

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Jul 23 11:32:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 03:13:17PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 11:45:28AM -0700, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> >
> > I don't particular have a "problem" with CVS. My argument is simply
> > this: for read-only anonymous access (which usually is the majority),
> > Mercurial is infact easier to setup than CVS; for commit access,
> > Mercurial fixes a whole bunch of *known* CVS problems (atomic commits,
> > disconnected operation etc). Further, since libvirt is still fairly
> > new, it would be easier to make the switch now rather than later.
> > Finally, you're right that libvirt doesn't require compiling Xen -- I
> > mentioned that simply to say that since these are "related" software
> > projects, it is convinient for developers to just use one set of tools
> > across the baord rather than a different thing for each project.
>
>   I just followed the mercurial presentation at OLS, and asked a couple
> of questions. Seems it should be possible to still operate in a centralized
> mode with push for people with commit rights, so I may switch if I manage
> to get my head around it and find the time needed to setup and test.
> But don't hold your breath, I think there is more pressing issues :-)

If you do ever want to look at it, I maintain a small administrative tool
called 'mercuriual-server-tools' which can ease setup and administration
mercurial server. From a single master config file it will automatically
create UNIX user accounts, groups, create the repo on disk, set permissions
and group ownersip on files, create Apache configs, CGI for anonymous
access to nominated reposotories over HTTPm and finally generates SSH
authorized_keys files with very restrictive settings to only allow access
to nominated mercurial repositories - no general shell acccess. Without
it I was constantly forgetting to do one or more of the steps when creating
new repositories.

Of course its available from a mercurial repo:

  http://hg.berrange.com/tools/mercurial-server-tools--devel

Dan.