[Libvir] Re: support for hvm guests

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 14:57:04 UTC 2006

Hi Jim,

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:25:07PM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:

> This list has agreed that cdrom and graphics should be in the devices
> section of libvirt's XML format, e.g.
>
> <os>
>  <type>hvm</type>
>  <boot dev='hdd'>
> <os>
> <devices>
>  <disk type='block'>
>    <source dev='hdd'/>
>    <target dev='hdd'/>
>    <cdrom/>
>  </disk>
>  <graphics type='vnc'>
>  </graphics>
> </devices>
>
> I can certainly add code in libvirt to handle converting this XML to the
> s-exp currently expected by xend but it makes for a larger patch.  It
> almost seems better to have xend accept definition of cdrom and graphics
> outside of image node, e.g.
>
> (image
>  (hvm
>    (boot d)
>  )
> )
> (cdrom /dev/hdd)
> (vnc 1)
> (other graphics-related options)
>
> Any thoughts before I go off and rework the XML -> s-exp code in libvirt?

Did you get any further dealing with this issue ? It'd be nice to get the
support for HVM guests into libvirt in the near future, since I'm working
on some higher level UI tools which could be improved with more detail
about HVM guests. I could probably find time to do some coding on the patches
if there are areas you've not currently got time to address yourself

Regards,
Dan.