[Libvir] Re: support for hvm guests

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 17:05:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 10:59:20AM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >Hi Jim,
> >
> [snip]
> >Did you get any further dealing with this issue ? It'd be nice to get the
> >support for HVM guests into libvirt in the near future, since I'm working
> >on some higher level UI tools which could be improved with more detail
> >about HVM guests. I could probably find time to do some coding on the
> >patches
> >if there are areas you've not currently got time to address yourself
> >

> I put this patch on the back burner given Anthony's response in
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2006-May/msg00017.html
>
> I recently considered continuing this work until we started the
> discussions on Xen Management API :-).  To be honest, now I'm not sure
> what to do.  I will be on vacation next week but probably have time to
> finish this patch before leaving.  However this code will certainly be
> thrown out at some point.  Guess the question is how far out is "some
> point"?  Is it worth doing the xml -> sexp conversion and working around
> some of the inconveniences in xend discussed earlier in this thread?  If
> we think the current state of affairs will exist for several more months
> then perhaps so.

Unfortunately I think we'll need to get an implementation done that works
with SEXPR. Even if everything progresses smoothly with the new XML-RPC
protocol for XenD, realistically it is going to be 2-3 months into the
future before its anywhere near ready for use by libvirt, and even then
there'll be a non-trivial existing userbase still on the SEXPR based XenD
for quite a while after that.

Regards,
Dan.