[Libvir] Questions about the future of libvirt

David Anderson david.anderson at calixo.net
Fri Mar 3 12:21:03 UTC 2006

* Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> [2006-03-03 04:15:34]:

> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 01:27:09AM +0100, David Anderson wrote:
> > * Anthony Liguori <aliguori at us.ibm.com> [2006-03-02 18:05:58]:
> >
> > > I would think changing virConnectOpen(const char *) to
> > > virConnectOpen(const char *host, int port) and have port default to
> > > something sane if say 0 is specified would be nice.
> >
> > Okay. And when we start supporting other virtualization methods, we
> > can rev that API to add a 'type' param.
>
>   Hum, I would rather not change the API in the future. I really
> expected the parameter to Open to be the type selector too.

Actually, regarding my previous mail, scratch that.  I see that you're
a big contributor to the libxml2 library, and that it has functions
for parsing URIs.  No need to reinvent the wheel in that case,
especially if we already link to libxml2.  It'll make parsing the
virtualizer URI much, much simpler and cleaner!

Also, on a completely offtopic note, I see that we must have missed
each other at Solutions Linux 2k6.  Pity I only got interested in Xen
more recently :-).

- Dave.