[Libvir] Re: support for hvm guests

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Wed May 10 20:20:15 UTC 2006

Karel Zak wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 11:53:02AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
>>> Don't think I want to waste anymore time with this bug since the http
>>> / sexp interface is going away - which brings me to a question.  Why
>>> is libvirt still using this interface and not xmlrpc?  Perhaps my time
>>> would be better spent moving libvirt to this interface.  I would like
>>> to submit the hvm patch for libvirt but can't reliably test it at this
>>> point.
>>>
>> wrt XML-RPC, I think I'm to blame for that.  I've not gotten around to
>> modifying the internals of libvirt to switch between
>> XML-RPC/S-Expression.  I'd suggest just reverting the xend_post to the
>> older code so you can keep making progress.
>>

>  Note, I've commited some XMP-RPC tests and minor xml/xmlrpc code
>  changes to libvirt. It seems that Anthony's xmlrpc code works fine
>  against Python SimpleXMLRPCServer. For more details see CVS.

As if there ever was any doubt ;-)

I ran most of that code through valgrind and tested it against the Xend
XML-RPC support.  The remaining work should be just plumbing the libvir
functions to use the XML-RPC functions.   The hardest part is probably
dealing with the S-Expressions since in XML-RPC they're going to be
returned as an Array instead of a string which means someone needs to
implement an XmlRpcArray -> struct sexpr conversion function.

The other outstanding issue is that I used libxml2's nanoHttp interface
which won't work for a domain socket.  I think we may need to implement
our own HTTP code (or just borrow the code in the S-Expression interface
code).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori