[Libvir] virDomainDump() API (equivalent to xm dump) in libvirt?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 16:36:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:53 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   Okay I can see how this would be useful, the questions I would have would be:
>     - how generic is this, i.e. suppose a different hypervisor back-end
>       would this still make sense. I guess yes, for example with an UML
>       back-end we could check the process status and force a dump with a
>       signal and move the core to the given file not trivial but same semantic
>       would be doable.

This I don't know a lot about.  I hadn't considered the implications of
using this on non-Xen guests. :o  I think I agree with you, though.  The
only weird part I can think of with UML is that because it behaves like
a normal process, we'd have to tweak the process's core limit before
causing it to dump...?

>     - can we implement it with current xen, again yes, we should be able
>       if we have a full connection (root) to do the same as 'xm dump-core'

Yes, given that xm dump-core can do it ;)

>     - is the API clean enough, I guess the semantic is relatively clear
>       instead of stating 'If you set the lowest-bit in flags' I would rather
>       define a DumpFlags enum and state that flags is an or'ing of any of them
>       I would probably name the function virDomainDumpCore though to not
>       confuse with virDomainSave

Totally correct here, it should be an enum of flags (with only one
defined initially; I don't know what other flags there might be.

>  So yes, why not, you want to work on it ? Or should I (or any candidate).

Give me a few; I'll check on this.  I don't have problems trying it, but
I will have a learning curve of course.

-- Lon