[Libvir] virDomainDump() API (equivalent to xm dump) in libvirt?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 14 23:52:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 11:32:41AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 10:53:57AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >
> >   Okay I can see how this would be useful, the questions I would have would be:
> >     - how generic is this, i.e. suppose a different hypervisor back-end
> >       would this still make sense. I guess yes, for example with an UML
> >       back-end we could check the process status and force a dump with a
> >       signal and move the core to the given file not trivial but same semantic
> >       would be doable.
>
>  Is there any policy what should be included in the library? I think
>  we will see many virtualization projects and an intersection between
>  all projects could be very small. From my point of view include to
>  the library something less generic is not big problem if we provide
>  API with a "non-implemented" (ENOSYS) return codes.

A good sanity check for a proposal is to ask yourself - how would this
be implemented & data represented for QEMU or  UserModeLinux, or VMWare.
If you can think of plausible implementations / representations then
that's a good sign the proposal isn't too Xen specific.

For 'xm dump' / virDomainDump() I think its pretty clear all the major
virtualization technologies have some method of dumping a VM's state
so ths API seems sound to me too.

Dan.