[Libvir] virDomainDump() API (equivalent to xm dump) in libvirt?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Nov 16 15:36:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:56:55AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:36:32AM -0500, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:53 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >     - can we implement it with current xen, again yes, we should be able
> > >       if we have a full connection (root) to do the same as 'xm dump-core'
> >
> > Yes, given that xm dump-core can do it ;)
> >
> > >     - is the API clean enough, I guess the semantic is relatively clear
> > >       instead of stating 'If you set the lowest-bit in flags' I would rather
> > >       define a DumpFlags enum and state that flags is an or'ing of any of them
> > >       I would probably name the function virDomainDumpCore though to not
> > >       confuse with virDomainSave
> >
> > Totally correct here, it should be an enum of flags (with only one
> > defined initially; I don't know what other flags there might be.
> >
> > >  So yes, why not, you want to work on it ? Or should I (or any candidate).
> >
> > Give me a few; I'll check on this.  I don't have problems trying it, but
> > I will have a learning curve of course.
>
>   Let's see if I was to do it I would:
>     0/ check out a CVS tree http://libvirt.org/downloads.html
>     1/ look how xm communicate with xend on that command

  Bad news, I looked at this and it seems xm can only use the XML-RPC interface
to xend to request the dump command, while libvirt uses the HTTP POST interface.
Adding the support would either require to hack xend or add support for the
intermediary xml-rpc access which was added in 3.0.2 and likely to disapear soon
when the new Xen API is used by xm.

  Unfortunately more complex than one could think initially :-\