[Libvir] virDomainGetInfo returns a false result on IA64 systems

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 12 15:21:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:17:20PM +0200, Philippe Berthault wrote:
> In Xen-unstable (future Xen 3.0.3), the page size has been added in the
> "xm info" command:
> xen_pagesize : 16384
>
> I think that this big problem can't be easily resolved in libvirt while
> Xen 3.0.3 isn't delivered.
> Perhaps, a temporary solution would be to consider page size as 16 KB on
> IA64 ?

DV has already fixed the problem you noted below in xen_internal.c
in the current CVS source. There is a well-define POSIX API to determining
system page size:   sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE)   so there is no need to hard
code anything.

> Philippe Berthault a écrit :
> >The maxMem and memory fields of the virDomainInfo structure are false
> >on IA64 systems.
> >
> >The problem is in xen_internal.c at lines 1530,1531:
> >   info->memory = XEN_GETDOMAININFO_TOT_PAGES(dominfo) * 4;
> >   info->maxMem = XEN_GETDOMAININFO_MAX_PAGES(dominfo) * 4;
> >
> >It's assumed that page size is 4 KB (* 4) but this isn't correct on a
> >IA64 system where the page size is variable.
> >
> >I haven't checked but I suppose this bug exists also with the
> >virDomainGetMaxMemory and virDomainSetMaxMemory functions.

It looks like those methods work in terms of KB, rather than pages
so should be OK, but its worthwhile testing them on IA64 to be
certain because neither myself nor DV have any ia64 boxes to test
on.

Regards,
Dan.