[Libvir] New style CDROM config in Xen 3.0.3

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 14:49:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:43:16AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:56:58PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > So in a recent change to xen-unstable.hg the way CDROM devices are configured
> > for HVM guests changed. They are now treated as regular IDE devices, and a
> > CDROM is signified by presence of ':cdrom' suffix on the device name
> >
> >   http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-08/msg00369.html
> >
> > libvirt obviously needs to support both this new style config, and the old
> > (<= 3.0.2) style configs. Thus I requested addition of 'xend_config_format'
> > attribute in the /xend/node SEXPR data from XenD. Christian recently
> > committed this patch, so we can now support both CDROM style configs in
> > libvirt. I am attaching a patch to implement this support - basically it
> > touches xend_internal.c to fix XML->SEXPR conversion, and xml.c to fix
> > SEXPR->XML conversion. Then this is corresponding additions to the unit
> > tests to validate the new code, and also validate that I didn't break
> > existing code.
> >
> > I am attaching the patches, but I don't intend to commit them to libvirt
> > just yet because I don't actually have the new 3.0.3 xend running on my
> > test systems fully yet. If anyone is using 3.0.3 any testing would be
> > appreciated, otherwise I aim to test this towards end of next week.
>
> Jeremy recently tested this after upgrading Fedora to Xen 3.0.3 codebase
> pre-release & verified that HVM cdrom config is handled correctly. Thus
> I've committed the patches for new style cdrom config

Further testing with Xen 3.0.3 revealed that at the same time they introduced
the :cdrom tag in HVM cdrom devices, all disk devices (both para & fully virt)
also gained a :disk tag in the SEXPR. So I've just commited a further
change which strips this out when generating XML & adds it in when generating
SEXPR - conditionalized on xend_config_format >= 2

Dan,