[Libvir] gettext i18n support for libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 20:27:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 04:10:01PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:05:29PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 07:48:11PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > Attached is an updated version of my previous patch to add gettext support
> > > to libvirt. It should be pretty self-explanatory - basically wrapping all
> > > strings with _(..) or gettext_noop(...)  where appropriate. I also took
> > > the opportunity to make some of the messages more consistent with each
> > > other.
> >
> > Opps, used old skool diff format. Re-attaching as a unified diff this time...
>
>   That's big, but that's needed, so ... I'm wondering about 2 things:
>     - shouldn't this also affect the spec file ?
>       I didn't noticed anything in the patch for libvirt.spec.in while I
>       expected something :-)

Hmm, yes it should - I didn't notice we kept the .spec in CVS - I thought it
was only in Fedora CVS.

>     - can libvirt and virsh localizations be in separate catalogs ?
>       somehow it feel like they should be distinct so that apps using
>       libvirt don't have to load virsh strings too, but 1/ this may be
>       nitpicking 2/ this may be already the case but I didn't spot it
>       in the virsh.c patch

They're currently setup to use the same catalog since it makes the build
system integration a hell of alot easier - the generic Makefiles installed
by gettext all assume a single .pot file. The virsh strings are about 50%
of the total translatable text, and the compiled .gmo file is 24 kb so we'd
only be saving about 12 KB of memory splitting them out. This is pretty
much just line-noise compared to 400 KB which libvirt.so comes in at.

Regards,
Dan