[Libvir] Remote patch 2007-04-17 (for discussion only)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 19:07:31 UTC 2007

Attached is the latest remote patch which should apply against either
CVS or the just-released libvirt-0.2.2.  It's only for discussion
because it's not quite complete yet.

This patch includes Dan's QEMUD/XDR patch.  And it basically follows the
plan outlined in [1].

Problems:
* QEMUD deadlocks when you try to call qemu over remote (eg. try: virsh
-c qemu+unix:///system?socket=/path/to/libvirt/qemud-sock capabilities).
  This is because qemud tries to connect back to itself, but it is in
the middle of handling the request, so it doesn't respond.
* Opening Xen over remote fails, because the Xen unified driver doesn't
understand URLs like xen:///.  I'm not sure if it ever did, or if this
is a regresssion, but it certainly _ought_ to support this style of URLs.
* The server will quite happily answer a mixture of remote and qemud
requests even on the same connection (of course, libvirt would never
generate such a mix).  I'm not sure if this is a problem.

To do:
* Only supports a small subset of calls (not difficult to do but I'm
trying to get the framework working first).
* Needs GnuTLS support on the server side (copy & paste of the code from
the old remote patch).
* Needs to support TCP sockets on the server side.

Rich.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-March/msg00333.html

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA) and David
Owens (Ireland)